Sunday, November 04, 2012

a bucket list of sorts

I like lists. I like them a lot. I also like goals.

But first, let me explain. You've most likely heard of The Bucket List, perhaps you've even made one. But maybe you haven't heard of Randy Pausch. He's a professor, was a professor rather, at CMU, a fantastic university with tartan as the school color (aka Carnegie Melon). One of my friends is going there actually. But anyway, he (Randy Pausch) only had a certain amount of time to live, and so he gave a last lecture, one on achieving childhood dreams. I usually don't post videos because somehow I have managed not to get addicted to YouTube or pinterest or Facebook (okay, well, that one might be different), although things like this tend to amuse (and distract) me.... Anyway, I know this video is especially long, but if you have time I'd recommend watching it.

Anyway, I agree with him in that setting goals and accomplishing them is important, but I don't think it's necessarily vital to fulfill childhood dreams. I honestly can't remember what I wanted to do when I was little, all I know is that I was surprised at where my life lead me in high school. So it's important to be flexible, and not so rigid in following goals that were made long before that opportunities are missed. And by that, I mean that whatever I aspired to do when I was little probably won't happen. Especially since I can't remember what I wanted to do. Whoops.

Okay. Now for the list. Here's a bucket list of sorts of what I want to do in college
  • Go on an impromptu road trip
  • Take an online class or take a class with independent study
  • Meet the president of the university
  • Attend general conference in the conference center
  • Start a club
  • Pull two all-nighters in one week
  • Sleep in until at least 3PM
  • Learn how to cook (left with no clear definition on purpose)
  • Pull a prank (like this. Heh.)
  • Explore all the buildings on campus
  • Participate in research that is published
  • Learn how to ski
  • Make a crazy small budget and keep it for at least a month. What I mean by this is mostly referring to the idea of living off of $30 for food for a month or some similar experience, mostly just to see if I can do it. (Really, go look at that link. It's interesting.)
  • Live like a missionary for a week (go to bed by 10, wake up by 6, no Facebook, etc.)
  • Run a 5K
  • Make a palindrome
  • Climb a mountain
  • Work as a TA/writings fellow
  • Go out to lunch with a professor
  • Stay up all night talking to someone
  • Make the dean's list
  • Backpack through Europe/Study abroad
And there's more. So many more.

No comments:

Post a Comment