Sunday, January 13, 2013

ten thousand

Initially, ten thousand probably seems like a lot. At least to me it does. But is it?

Ten thousand molecules are insignificant almost all cases, unless you're talking about the number of poison molecules in the air. Then you might be out of luck. The *average* person takes ten thousand breaths in just over eight hours. Ten thousand dollars at most universities might get you housing and food for a semester, and that's if you're lucky. 

But 10,000 hours? That's a lot. 10,000 hours of jail time would be well over a year. Assuming eight hours of sleep a night, it would take you almost three and a half years to accumulate 10,000 hours of sleep time. Even for babies, who spend over half the day sleeping, it would take well over two years. But 10,000 hours is the amount of time that you need to spend on a to gain mastery, or so says Malcolm Gladwell, author of Outliers. You might be surprised, because I'm reading a book that's not physics related. Yes, I do do that occasionally.

I really, really like Outliers and I don't think I'm crazy for thinking so (like you might think I am for enjoying books about physics). If you're not entirely opposed to reading nonfiction, I would definitely recommend Outliers. I have some qualifications for what makes a good book:

  1. It has to have application to real life, even if it isn't necessarily realistic. Which is why I generally don't like romances because they're all so... unlikely. 
  2. Said book makes me think/change my perspective about a certain topic.
  3. Well-written. Good books make me want to keep reading. 


Outliers will make you think differently about what it means to be successful. I promise.

As a side note, here's one of my weekend accomplishments:
Om nom nom.

No comments:

Post a Comment